Sunday, September 2, 2012

Second Attempt

In the cake world I think the Wedding Cake is probably the most daunting, I'm sure there are other cakes out there that would cause similar amounts of panic and stress, but I think this is as much as I would ever want to take on.

My first son got married and that was the first wedding cake that I did, with LOTS of help from my mom (OK... she did most of it) I Don't know if I would have ever made the leap from birthday and everyday cakes to doing a wedding cake without her help.

My second son got married... and now I was flying solo as mom had just had surgery on her neck.

A few things I learned...

  1. If you every wanted to open a bakery you should move to someplace closer to sea level, baking cakes and High Altitude don't mix well (especially Big cakes)  It took me 3 tries to get the 16" base baked before I got it right.
  2. Two or Three stand mixers would have been a huge blessing... Mixing 60 cups of cake batter, and all the frosting with one mixer took f o r e v e r.
  3. Patience is a long time.
  4. Four tiers of wedding cake is VERY Heavy
To be honest it was something I enjoyed and I will always find a lot of pride in saying that I made my Son's Wedding cakes...

And you know what they say, "Third times a Charm"  Two down and One to Go :)


No comments: