Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Horse Mural

Just before I decided I wanted to try sculpting, I had decided that it would be fun to paint a mural...I talked with Randie to see if there was a chance she was secretly dieing to have a mural in our house and just hadn't ever mentioned it to me before...come to find out she wasn't, but she wasn't entirely opposed to the idea, and we discussed possible walls that might serve as my canvas. Randie mentioned that Sarah was really into horses right now, and maybe I could paint a horse mural in her room

That was all the encouragement that I needed and I immediately started looking at horse pictures to get some inspiration. (I have to stop for a minute and say how wonderful my wife is, she is always willing to humor me in my hair brained ideas, and visions of someday being a great artist.) After viewing several horse pictures and deciding how big to make it etc...I got to work.

I wanted to try and keep it fairly simple and decided to only use 3 colors, White, Black and Brown....It ended up that the brown just didn't seem to work, and I did the whole thing in Black and White.

Shortly after starting it, I decided I also wanted to try my hand at Sculpting, and was torn each night whether to spend the hour I had dedicated to the Mural or to Sculpting (usually the Sculpting won out)

I have to say that Randie was VERY patient with me about getting the Mural done, and I will be the first to admit that I get sidetracked with my hobbies very easily. It's like the farmer that gets up in the morning to feed the chickens, and on his way out notices that the gate squeaks, so he goes to the barn and gets some oil to fix the gate, and after fixing the gate notices that the kids left their toys in the driveway....and about 3 hours later the chickens get fed.

Anyway...I finished the mural this morning (I took the week off for Thanksgiving). Here are a couple of pictures of the finished product.




1 comment:

Mirm said...

Now you are just BRAGGING!!! I can't even draw a dog at church for my child. Maybe I really was Adopted. Love ya tons.