Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sculpting

I bounce between hobbies like a super ball on steroids....about a month ago I decided I wanted to be a sculptor (I use the term loosely). The closest I've ever gotten to sculpting I think was about 6-7 years ago when Sarah got a Play-Doh Fun Factory set for Christmas, it has the plastic thing that looks kind of like a garlic press, and lets you press the clay through different templates. (I think I spent more time unplugging the press than actually playing with it)

Anyway, for my birthday I got a video on how to sculpt...it was pretty good and talked about the different clays, and tools that you would need plus some good pointers on shaping the clay etc. So I went out and got some basic tools and some clay and I was ready to start...I decided that I wanted to do a Golden Eagle Head (Heaven knows there aren't enough eagle statues around) I went out on the Internet and found some pictures to use as a reference and I was ready to go.

I think all in all it took me about 2 weeks to finish, working on it an hour or two a night. Turns out that I'm a pretty good sculptor (at least with birds). Here are a few pictures I took when I almost had it done.







Since it turned out so well, I wanted to keep it, so I started researching how to create a mold so I could cast it... There was quite a bit to learn and It was actually pretty fascinating...to make a long story short, I was able to create the mold, and am at the point where I'm almost ready to make my first casting (fingers are crossed) I'll let you know how it turns out.

4 comments:

~Nita said...

Wow! That is very, very good! I think you missed your calling, friend, hahaaaa....

I can see these selling like hotcakes on e-bay.....

~Nita

Mirm said...

I wish you would have sculpted me, say about 10 years ago. Now it is to late and I can't do anythhing about it. To many sags and wrinkles.
That is AMAZING Bro. You have always been talented in the artsy fartsy business. Saw a picture of that BIG Bunny that Ron used to have. REMEMBER? You should have sculpted that.

Tricia said...

Wow, Rich, that's impressive.... excellent job! Of course, you've always had a great talent for that sort of thing...

sonya said...

This is excellent! Can't wait to see it up close and personal! (whatever you do....don't sculpt the bunny!)