Friday, May 23, 2008

Mixed Thoughts

Every once in a while I will have a deep thought...Not to say it's deep for anyone else, but it's a new revelation to myself, So I figure I might as well include them occasionally.

About a week ago I came across this short story which started a "New" thought process for myself...

In a remote village in Central America the word got out among the peoples of the region that one of the American missionaries that had served this country for many years was about to return to the US to live out the remaining years of her life.The nationals desired to honor her for her years of service with a public time of appreciation. News of the event went to all parts of the country in which the missionary was known to the people. One very old and very poor man walked to the ceremony over mountainous terrain for 4 days to bring his gift to the missionary.The gift consisted of 2 coconuts, but it was all the man had. The missionary recognized the man as coming from the remote village in the mountains."Brother, I cannot believe that you would walk so far to present me with this gift," said the missionary to the man.His response? "The Long walk is part of gift."

This is my thought:

The value of a gift isn't determined solely by the gift itself, but by the giver of the gift and the sacrifice or effort given…. Consider the widows mite…she gave everything that she owned…how much more difficult would it be for a person of wealth to give a gift of greater value? They would have to give everything that they owned.Christ gave us a gift of infinitely Greater value...and he did it by giving us EVERYTHING, including his life, ...And, if you keep my commandments and endure to the end you shall have eternal life, which gift is the greatest of all the gifts of God.

No comments: